A heritage building, the Holy Cross Monastery had its cornerstone laid on September 13th, 1931. Established not only to house the Irish Christian Brothers, but also to provide additional school accommodations, the Monastery was a welcomed addition to the church and the city of St. John’s.
Seventy years later, in February 2001, Monastery Spa & Suites took over residence of the Holy Cross Monastery building with a staff of eight. Persevering through the first couple of years was a challenge, but we continued to grow and eventually added twenty suites to become the first destination spa in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Today, Monastery Hotel continues to offer our visitors a fresh escape from not only the city of St. John’s, but also the whole world as we cater to both locals and tourists alike. With our range of services, convenient location, a professional and trained staff of over sixty, and so much more, we continue to bring a sense of peace and solitude as the building’s residents did before us.